Parking in Nelson
Downtown Parking Strategy
Click here to visit the project webpage.
Metered Parking Stalls
Nelson has approximately 750 parking stalls that are serviced by either a meter or a PayStation (kiosk). Paid parking is in effect from Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 25 cents for every 12 minutes ($1.25 per hour)
- Meters accept quarters, $1 coins, and $2 coins
- Most metered spaces have a 2-hour maximum. There are several blocks with 4-hour meters and one block with all-day meters.
- Be sure to read the label on the parking meter you are at. Parking longer than the posted maximum time is not permitted.
- When parking on the 400 and 500 blocks of Hall Street, pay at the PayStation located at the northeast corner of Hall and Baker Streets
- PayStations accept coins and credit cards
- View Paystation FAQs (PDF)
- Free motorcycle parking stalls are available throughout the downtown
- Designated handicapped parking is available throughout the downtown for vehicles with a valid handicap parking permit. Vehicles displaying a permit may park for up to two hours.
Parking Regulations on Unsigned Streets
Parking is not permitted for more than 72 hours continuously.
Nelson has one parkade located in the downtown core on the 400 block of Vernon Street.
Motorists parking for parking longer than 2 hours are encouraged to utilize the parkade. Day parking (8 hours) at a metered stall costs $10, whereas the daily rate in the parkade is $8.
The Nelson City Parkade is currently FULL for monthly permit holders. To be put on the waitlist please contact email@example.com
To renew your monthly permit contact the Parkade Manager, Jordan Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Stay: 3 days
2nd to 6th floors: $100.00 per month.
Monthly payments are due within the first week of every month. If there is no payment received your name will be removed from the stall to another person on the waitlist.
Contact Jordan Martin at (250) 250.352.8100 or email@example.com.
Nelson City Bike Cage
The Nelson Bike Cage is located at the Nelson City parkade on the first floor. The Bike Cage provides a secure, indoor parking facility for bicyclists.
HOW TO REGISTER
To register to use the Bike Cage, you need to fill out the Registration Form, and email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt, a city representative will notify you of available space. If there is no available space, you will be put on a waitlist until a space is available.
The cost associated with using the Bike Cage is a $30.00 deposit which must be paid upon retrieving your entry fob. You will be given your deposit back once you are finished using the Bike Cage, the fob must be in good condition to receive your deposit.
TERM OF USE
The term of individual use will be one year effective upon the City of Nelson's acceptance. The City of Nelson will allow existing bike users in good standing to renew this agreement annually.
Loading Zones and Lane Parking
Vehicles are permitted to use a loading zone for up to three minutes for the loading and unloading of passengers, or up to 10 minutes for goods. A valid commercial vehicle licence decal is required to use a commercial loading zone.
Whenever access can be had to any laneway, all deliveries or collections of goods to or from any commercial building shall be made there from.
No parking is permitted in a laneway except for the loading or unloading of goods from a vehicle, in which case parking is permitted for up to 15 minutes.
Street parking is regulated by the Traffic Bylaw. Please reference it for any further information you require.
Off-street parking is regulated by the Off-Street Parking and Landscape Bylaw.