- City Services
- Property Taxes
- Payment Options For Property Taxes
Payment Options For Property Taxes
Through your Financial Institution
Most banks and credit unions accept property tax payments, either in person or through their online banking sites. When paying through your bank, you will need to quote the "folio number," located on the top of your statement. When paying at the bank please be aware that it can take 3 to 10 business days for your payment to be received at City Hall. Payment must be received at City Hall prior to the due date.
Through the City of Nelson
There are several ways to pay your property taxes through the City of Nelson:
- Online Services. Online payment of property taxes (by credit card only, a 2.4% convenience fee is added for credit card payments).
- By mail. Payments must be received in our office by 4:30 pm on the due date. Cheques should be made payable to the City of Nelson and may be post-dated for the due date.
- In person. City Hall is open Monday to Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Cash, cheque, debit and credit card payments (a 2.4% convenience fee is added for credit card payments) are accepted. Cheques should be made payable to the City of Nelson and may be post-dated for the due date. Please expect a wait during tax season.
- After-hours drop off. A drop box is available for payments. It is conveniently located at the entrance of City Hall.
- Preauthorized prepayment program. The City of Nelson offers an installment plan that allows you to make equal payments on next year's property taxes before the due date. The Pre-authorized Payment Plan can't be used to pay current or overdue taxes. Refer to the Pre-Authorized Payment Request Form (PDF).
Signing Up for Preauthorized Payments
You must complete an authorization form (PDF) and submit it to City Hall along with a voided cheque. All of the required signing authorities for your account must sign the authorization form. Forms are also available at City Hall.
How Much Your Equal Payments Will Be
Your monthly prepayment for the next year is based on current year gross taxes plus a 5 percent increase to allow for tax or assessment increases. The Home Owner Grant is deducted from the gross tax amount and the net amount is divided by the remaining months to June 15 of the next tax year. The prepayment amount may be adjusted to accommodate your needs, but any shortfall at the tax deadline date must be paid to avoid penalties.
The monthly prepayment plan is withdrawn from your bank account on the 15th of each month. A service charge of $25 is levied on all NSF prepayments. The City of Nelson has the right to cancel your prepayment plan after two NSF payments.
Changes to Your Account
You must contact the City of Nelson finance department office by the 10th of the month in any of the following circumstances:
- Changing banks or branches
- Changing your bank account
- Discontinuing the installment plan
- Selling your property
- Stopping payment on an installment
Withdrawing From the Installment Plan
You may withdraw from the prepayment plan by contacting the City of Nelson property tax department at any time during the year.
Provincial Home Owner Grant
Tax Deferment Program
Under the British Columbia Property Tax Deferment Program, you may be able to apply for a low interest loan to pay your current year property taxes on your principal residence. For more information on the property tax deferment programs, please visit the Province of BC website.